Sunday, February 19, 2012

THEY HOLD THE FUTURE.

Support Girl Child Education.
THEY HOLD THE FUTURE.

It was a lovely morning and I had as usual purposed to start living my dream no matter what the day brings even from the moment I stepped out of bed at 4:29 am. If you are wondering, hey, that’s too early to be out of bed, you will be shocked to know that many are already on their way to work at this time. It’s a pity, that’s what living and working in Lagos, Nigeria, is all about, especially if you don’t residence centrally near major business districts and must beat the usual strenuous traffic and to get to work before 08:00 am.

I made it to my usual bus stop just in time to get a bus that waits for commuters to get on the bus. At the extreme of the bus as I got on were 2 young female students, one carrying the other on her laps, this way they only pay the transport cost of one commuter. I decided to pay their fare before I got sited. Now sited directly behind them, I began immediately to contemplate if I really had to pay their fare because I had already budgeted for the day and the prompting was sudden and unusually as I do commute with students every day. Finally I made up my mind to do the right thing. I paid for them before they attempted to do so and got a thank you sir as a show of appreciation.

As the bus moved on slowly toward our destinations, I continued to ask myself why the unusually prompting to pay their fare, is there more I could do with the opportunity - like talk to them about education, studies, interests, background and equally share with them my experience. Time as a deciding factor, as it wasn’t long after I decided to talk that they got to their bus stop, I only told them,’ take your studies serious’. I prayed to see them again if fate permits.

The very next day I made it to the bus stop about the time of yesterday and there in the bus were these same students, now sitting beside them, we exchange greeting, ‘hi good morning, you guys again?’ I asked. I quickly paid our fares and got talking immediately. There is no time to waste to think about it; not like yesterday. I got to know their names, Tayo and Kehinde - twins, 9 years and half, and in their senior secondary class 2 at Command Day Secondary School, Ikeja, Lagos located within the Nigeria Military Cantonment Ikeja. Tayo, the elder to Kehinde is more outspoken, eloquent, sociable and beautiful *wink* but with a smaller body frame, the reason why she is always the one that sits on her younger sister’s laps whenever they are commuting. Tayo wants to be a dietician as she has interest in ensuring that people eat well and are healthy especially when there is a stomach ulcer patient at home who she says requires a special diet unlike what others normally take while Kehinde looks forward to being an accountant because she loves numbers.

While discussing with them and pausing intermittently to envision the lovely, bright future that lies ahead of them in their studies, young life, careers, building their homes, and the society at large, I acknowledged the dominant role that education must play in their future for their dreams to come true; they still have university education, mentoring, interests and challenges ahead of them. A very long way that will require us all to assist them and many more young girls to attain their dreams, with that we can shape our society the way we want.  We can assist by sponsoring a girl’s education, training, giving them opportunities that are not ordinarily given to them and empowering them in any way we can. I see a very stable family and society and future free from illiteracy, poverty, hunger, child mortality, maternal deaths, malaria, HIV/AIDS and other diseases in an environment that is safe, green, friendly and sustainable.

For Tayo and Kehinde, I pray that their mum who is an educated business woman provides them with all the education they need to realize their dreams and that we can take up from where ever she may stop. I advised them never to let anything distract them from their studies, and to remain focused to their dreams. Finally bye-bye as they got to their bus stop as I know it will be hard to meet them anything soon together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment