Sunday, February 26, 2012

THE ATTITUDE AND EXPERIENCE OF THE 'EXPERIENCED' UNEMPLOYED YOUTH


THE ATTITUDE AND EXPERIENCE OF THE 'EXPERIENCED' UNEMPLOYED YOUTH



Young people generally are very enthused about life and what its various stages offers, best of which is the freedom to lead their own lives but without the power the decide the outcome of decisions taken. Some of these outcomes are undesirables of gainful poverty, unemployment or lack of one at all.

We have most of the time neglected to prepare ourselves - minds and spirit for the realities that we must face in this stage of our life which will mar or make us at the end. These preparations start from the family where children are trained and influenced by either literate-illiterate, rich-middle class-poor parents, faith systems, environment, level and quality of education, training received, peers and more. Among all these factors of influence, education, training, skills, and experience - (opportunities) has the highest impact on a young person's life to adulthood. Most times we fail to acknowledge the need to get ourselves readily prepared for this future in discovering the purpose of education, and what benefit it would serve to us and our communities, this is where attitude / character, values comes in - the differentiating factor between the successful and seemed failures. While in the university and upon graduation from the University if he has to opportunity of attending one, an average young person is faced with the experience of unemployment during which he is involved in certain activities in which he is gains useful experience but largely denies this because of lack of purpose, focus, vision of what life should be for him/her. These activities often are training grounds to acquire skills, knowledge and experience that the young person should use to change his situation and lead a successful life but quite often he fails to. 

As a young man that had desire to lead my own life and be responsible for its outcomes, I before graduation from high school told myself this is how my life would be structured; no matter the outcome of factors that were not in my direct control. Upon graduation from high school, I had some challenges - an outcome of the poor education system, yet I didn't lose focus. I strived. I gained admission and having structured, understood my environment and knowing what the system I was in wouldn't offer me, I made it a priority to get a job placements during vacations to acquire skills and experience that I need for my future - this was what my peers didn't see as a need at the time. This I did throughout my university education, often going without food, denying myself of some needs and luxury to save up to buy books, attend trainings, conferences, and to work at times where I gain skills and experience as an unemployed youth knowing that one day I will be employed. This is my approach till date.

Many other young people for lack of focus and purpose have failed to make efforts to gain needed skills, knowledge to lead meaningful and successful lives. Sometimes when they do find themselves assisting in providing certain services they fail to appreciate that they acquire very relevant skills and experience in the process not to talk of using it to improve his/her current situation. To such a young person he has never being employed or given an opportunity to learn skills and gain useful experience. We always look forward to a placement in the biggest blue chip companies immediately after graduation; that is what we only know as employment, yet without the right skills, experience, knowledge, purpose, character, attitude, vision, and values.

More so I once asked a young Nigerian Business Administration graduate who was deployed to my organization for her compulsory one year National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme to write an application letter for a position that was to be offered to her and also provide a resume/ curriculum vitae. I was shocked to hear that she doesn't know what an application letter or even a CV is. How could such be employed and by whom? I provided her with 2 plain sheets of white paper and a biro to write whatever she can and title them to indicate which is an application letter and CV. At the end I was provided with a sort of primary school caricature of an application letter. On questioning she told me she was not taught how to and therefore should not know with many other reasons. I only helped her with a sample of my CV and web links to read on how to write an application letter. That was the best I could do for her at the time; meanwhile she has 2 good expensive mobile phones that she uses for facebooking and accessing other social media content. That clearly shows lack of focus, preparedness, vision, character, values, purpose for future and life.

This debate is on education, youth and unemployment is on many fronts but I see clearly that attitude plays a very significant role. Young people need to be focused, purposed and have the right character and vision to lead very successful lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment